Written by Indo.
Supergirl: The Movie The director's cut analysis
In the summer of 2000, Anchor Bay released Supergirl on
DVD. The feature presented on the regular DVD is the international cut,
featuring 10 minutes of footage not seen by U.S.A audiences until
the VHS release in 1999.
14 minutes was added to the director's cut, which had remained unseen by the majority of the Supergirl fans, I say majority because, this long version was shown TWICE in the U.K. -- It was first shown on ITV on the 9th January 1988 at 7:15pm and finished at midnight and again on Christmas Eve 1989 on ITV/LWT. ITV cut out the sequence where Supergirl lands in Chicago and the advancements of the two lecherous men; considered to be too risque for the time and probably the timeslot.
The footage is presented in its original widescreen ratio 2.35:1, but the soundtrack is presented in mono. It's thought that the director's cut was actually prepared for television by the producers, the Salkinds. As with the previous Superman films, the producers were charging TV stations by the minute. It's unknown why this version of the film was never presented for syndication.
Below is an analysis of this footage and screenshots, which will identify the additions to the film. There were also some deletions in the Director's cut. For the purpose of this document, I have used the process of placing in the DVD runtimes of the footage to benefit those who have the disc in their possession. For example 01:46:48 would represent 1 hour, 46 minutes and 48 seconds into the film.
(1) 00:03:09 - 00:03:31 - After the initial aerial shot of Argo city, a small group of people can be seen assembled who appear to be mediating. A few seconds into the shot is the arrival of Kara.
(2) 00:03:45 - 00:03:55 - There is
a shot of a teacher taken a class of young children, asking them questions
in relation to Kryptonian science.
(3) 00:04:00 - 00:04:10 - Unlike the theatrical cut, where we immediately follow a shot of Kara crossing a bridge, the class scene continues. This shot begins after the teacher says "Leah". Leah answers the question in a complicated manner. The teacher's reply "Well maybe that was a bit too easy!"
(4) 00:06:56 - 00:07:03 - Small extra dialogue with Mia Farrow calling Kara.
(5) 00:11:39 - 00:11:53 - Short 15 second sequence after Zaltar says "Forever", where he crosses the bridge in sombre mood. A walk of shame.
(6) 00:14:01 - 00:14:20 - Selena
tells Nigel not to call her "sweetness". Here is the extra dialogue.
(7) 00:22:07 - 00:23:23 - There is
more extra dialogue between Selena and Bianca after Selena says "The
World is my Oyster".
(8) 00:22:07 - 00:23:23 - There is more extra dialogue between Selena and Bianca after Selena says "The World is my Oyster".
Selena: If I can figure this thing out?
Selena then places her hands onto the Omegahedron. She appears to be attempting to cook a chicken.
Bianca: Oh my God! Are you doing that? It's a trick,
right? It's a trick! I think it's done! Selena, I think it's done! (Bianca
watches on as Selena overcooks the chicken and runs to the refrigerator
and makes a grab for some cold milk, pouring it over the food). Oh my